Saturday, March 24, 2012

mindless knitting

By now, you all know that I am anemic.  I think that this is the reason why I have no focus for any activity at all other than my knitting. No oxygen to the brain.  Most days I can't even concentrate on a half hour sitcom on tv and you know how little brain power that requires!  So the hypnotic clicking of knitting needles is about the only activty that appeals.


I have just finished the back of the neck which, astonishingly, means that I am halfway finished my project.  The sweater (something I've never even tackled before) is knitted in one single piece, starting from the bottom back, up the back and neck and then continuing down the front.  When finished knitting, you simply fold in half and sew the sides and sleeves closed.  An engineering marvel.


Because it's a V-neck, the instructions say to finish the left front first, leaving the right side untouched on the needles.  And only then to complete the right front.  The two sides coming together after the V closes.  When I went to the knit-shop to buy the yarn, I consulted with the owner, who told me not to pay any attention to the "American" instructions & just do both sides simultaneously, using 2 balls of yarn.


So now I am at a crossroads.  This is not a metaphor.  Rather I mean it quite literally.  Shall I continue with the instructions from the website, the American approach, or listen to the Israeli method as per the knit-shop lady?  I can't move on until I decide. Unfortunately that will require more oxygen to the brain.  ;-)




(Personal pic.  Ignore the yellow markers)

No comments:

Post a Comment